Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Tie Dye Onesies


 
Tie Dyed Onesies

I have wanted to do this for such a long time now and figured, heck, why not now! I’ve seen onesies dyed all one color since it is super hard to find them a solid color and that will be my next project, but I was attending a family reunion this past weekend and there was a tie dye booth, so I got the grand idea to tie dye things for my little girl coming very soon.

I went to Wal-Mart and found a tie dye kit that had the colors I wanted, only cost me about $15.00 bucks and it said it would tie dye at least 24 shirts! There was a ton to choose from that offered many different colors, but I wanted more of the traditional and girly colors. I also purchased all white, cotton onesies – some short sleeve and some long sleeve, in different sizes.

 
The kit was awesome, because it came with everything that I needed. Rubber bands, plastic gloves (to keep your fingers from looking like a rainbow), plastic bottles with colored caps and extra dry dye to do another project since you shouldn’t keep the left over dye when finished. It also had complete instructions on how to prepare your work station, how to prepare the dye and how to wash your creations when finished. The best part of the whole kit was the instructions on how to make different patterns and not your traditional circle of colors!
 
So here goes nothing!!

You start by getting the cloth damp. I just ran the onesies under the faucet and rung it out.

Choose what pattern you want to see and follow the directions. I started with the traditional tie dye pattern you see.

Once all the rubber bands are placed, start adding the colored dye to the folds, making sure to get in the creases and make sure to flip it over to get the other side if needed.


Here are two other patterns that I tried.



 

Once you are done with it, place it in plastic (I just used a Wal-Mart plastic bag) and let it sit for 6-8. The longer you let it sit, the more vibrant the colors will be. I let mine sit for 24 hours.

Once it has sat for the allotted time, rinse out the onesies under warm water until it runs clear. Remove the rubber bands in the process.

I washed mine for 25 minutes, individually, in hot water and very little laundry detergent; then dried.

Ohhh, how cute is that!!
 

 
 

I tried different patterns and colors to see what I liked best. I’m really happy with the outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment